At a Glance/Features
Date: 2016 trip got rave reviews. It returns in 2018. Call to get on the "interest list"
Host: Andrew de Angelis - Italy insider and Civilized Adventures travel specialist
Cost: CA$ 6,900 per adult, twin-share in 2016. 2018 prices tba
At A Glance:
- updated hotels and routing in 2018; details pending
- 13 nights in Italy with 9 nights in Sicily
- Starts in Naples on day 1
- Ends in Taormina on day 14
- Extension opportunities could include more time in Italy (Rome, Venice) or extend to Malta
- Carefully planned routing includes many of Andrew's favorite Italian sites
- Special touring includes several "must sees" but a key focus is experiencing daily life in Italy & Sicily
"The trip was flawless from beginning to end! Andrew did an amazing job creating the trip, I was thrilled with everything he came up with! Andrew designed an amazing holiday! I was very impressed...with his professionalism and ability to capture what I was looking for in a vacation" (Custom Europe, Dec. '14)
"We feel that Andrew spent so much time making sure that our trip was full of interesting things to see and do! We so appreciate his efforts!!!!!! (Custom S. Africa, Sept. '14)
- Walking tour in vibrant Naples
- Learn to make real Napolitan pizza, in Naples, in a private lesson. Andrew is a certified pizza chef, and he will assist.
- Discover the stunning Amalfi coast
- Attend a dinner show at the Teatro Tasso showcasing the Tarantella dance
- Day trip to the Island of Capri
- Experience the diversity of Sicily: unique cuisine and wine and surprising history; see Greek ruins and Norman cathedrals
- Visit Agrigento: see some of the best preserved ancient Greek buildings outside Greece
- Attend a performance at the ancient Greek theatre in Sicracusa
- Enjoy a sailing excursion along the rugged Sicilian coast ending in Noto
- Experience the "Inforiata" festivities at Noto, an event that only happens once a year
- See Mt. Etna
- Andrew will share many secrets of his native Italy on this special trip and he will be assisted by expert specialist guides throughout.
2016 dates listed. This will be adjusted for the 2018 departure. We plan to change a couple of hotels and make minor "tweeks" to the itinerary to improve the flow.
May 4 & 5 - NAPLES: Arrival day; make your own way (or ask about transfers) to our 4-star hotel. Next day go on a walking tour; see the Veiled Christ, one of the most impressive works of art in the world. Evening pizza making lesson and dinner. (2 nts Hotel Palazzo Caracciolo, 1B, 1D)
May 6 & 7 - AMALFI COAST & CAPRI (STAY IN SORRENTO) - Drive via the stunning Amalfi coast to Sorrento. Enjoy the great views from our hotel, then attend the dinner show at the Teatro Tasso. Next day, take the hydrofoil to Capri, a beautiful island surrounded by a truly azure sea. (2 nts Hotel Regina Sorrento, 2B, 2D)
May 8 & 9 - CEFALU, SICILY: After visiting Pompeii near Naples, fly to Palermo, Sicily (flight not included), then drive directly to the seaside town of Cefalu. Stroll cobbled streets, have a drink at a cafe, relax on the beach. On May 9 see the sites with our local guide and in the afternoon participate in a cooking class. (2 nts La Plumeria Hotel, 2B, 2D).
May 10 - MONREALE, TRAPANI & MARSALA: visit the Norman cathedral near Palermo, then drive to the west coast and the salt flats near Trapani. Stay in a beautiful hotel on a hill overlooking Marsala. (2 nt Hotel Baglio Oneto, B, L, D).
May 11 - AGRIGENTO: Drive to Agrigento, site of the best preserved Greek buildings outside Greece. Tour the site, then enjoy a different view of them from the balcony of our hotel. (1 nt Hotel Villa Athena, B, L, D)
May 12, 13 & 14 - SIRACUSA: Drive across the southeast tip of Sicily, stopping to feast on a special lunch at a wine estate (lunch is a four course affair complete with wine tastings). In coastal Siracusa, explore the historic centre, set on an island, and enjoy a delicious dinner. On May 13, see "old Siracusa" on a walking tour with time on your own. Attend the Greek Theatre Festival. on May 14, learn about the traditional life of Sicilians and their connection to the sea: visit a fishing village, have a typical local meal, sail along the coast. Witness the "Infiorata" festival that takes place only once a year. (3 nts Hotel Hotel Livingston, 3B, 2L)
May 15 & 16 - TAORMINA: continue up the dramatic coastline to Taormina. Visit Mt. Etna. Next day, take a walking tour of Taormina and gather for our "farewell to Sicily" dinner. (2 nts Sirious Hotel, 2B, 1L, 1D)
May 17 - HOMEWARD, or extend: We can arrange transfers for you to match your ongoing travel plans. Andrew has many ideas for extending your stay, includiing visiting the nearby islands of Malta. (B)
Starting Rome/ending Taormina:
- In 2016: CA$ 6,900 per person, twin-share
- Single supplement: CA$ 1,350
- 2018 pricing is tba. Please call to get your name on the "interest list" and we will update you as soon as we can.
All quoted prices effective at time of publication, based on the exchange rate from Euros to CA$ (Sept. 17 '15). While not expected, itinerary and prices are subject to change.