- Travel with experienced trip host Denell Falk, founder of Civilized Adventures
- Best possible accommodations in unique surroundings
- An expert Mongolian guide joins the group throughout the trip
- Travel in 4WD vehicles suited to the terrain (roads are unpaved)
- Get into the countryside to see what Mongolia is all about: wide open spaces and vast steppes, desert, mountains and lakes
- Meet the Mongolian people with farm visits, home visits and while staying at two different "ger" (tented) camps
- Ulaanbaatar's Gandan Monastery - seat of Buddhism in Mongolia
- 3 nights at the acclaimed Three Camel Lodge (a National Geographic Unique Lodge of the World
- visits to Monasteries: learn about Buddhist culture, enjoy the unique architecture and the scenic locations
- Hike in the Yol Valley in the foothills of the Altai Mountains
- Visit a desert farm and learn about unique farming methods
- See ancient rock drawings in the gobi
- Ride a Bactrian camel through the dunes and visit a local herding family
- See the Flaming Cliffs
- Enjoy a cultural performance of traditional dances and khoomi throat singers
Combine with our Uzbekistan hosted small group. Book both trips and save US$250. Please inquire for more information.
Sept. 14 & 15 - Ulaanbaatar (2 nts, Shangri-la Hotel, 1B, 1L, 1D/welcome dinner). Welcome to Mongolia's capital city. YOu may be surprised at how modern much of it is. See various sights including Gandan Monastery (seat of Buddhism in Mongolia where you can stroll the grounds and possibly hear the chanting of the monks), and the statud of Migjid Janraisig, "the lord who looks in every direction". Also visit the National Musem and the Zanabazar Fine Arts museum with one of the best collections of Buddhist art and artifacts in the world.
Sept. 16 & 17 - Ger Camp Adventure (3 nts, Munkh Tenger Ger Camp, 2B, 2L, 2D). 4WD vehicles take us to the area around Kharakhorum where we explore Hustain Nuruu National park where the last remaining Takhi, the wild horses of Mongolia, can be found. Also in the area, we visit Shankh Hiid monastery and the Erdenezuu Monastery where the abbott will join us to show us the grounds of this 500-year old monastery. We'll see Kultegin Monument which was erected during the Turkic Empire in the 8th century to honour a prince. We'll enjoy the sweeping views from the hilltop location of the Tovkhon Monastery which survived the communist purge of the 1930s.
Sept. 18 - Ulaanbaatar (1 nt, Shangri-la Hotel, 1B, 1L). Drive back to Ulaanbaatar and relax for the rest of the day. Explore on your own and prepare for the next part of the journey.
Sept. 19, 20 & 21 - Three Camel Lodge Adventure - into the Gobi (3 nts, Three Camel Lodge, 3B, 3L, 3D). Fly to an airstrip in southern Mongolia and drive to our lodge set in the southern portion of the vast Gobi desert. during our time here we'll explore this vast unspoiled region where unique wildlife and hardy nomads co-exist. We'll hik in Yol Valley National park in the foothills of the Altai Mountains, see dinosaur fossils, visit a small town suppored by artisian wells that in turn support one of the only farms in the Gobi, and we'll see ancient rock drawings dating back some 40,000 years. We'll also see an area with sand dunes (one of few in the Gobi) and you can walk the dunes or ride a Bactian camel to a local camel herding family to experience their hospitality. Finally, we see the beautiful Flaming Cliffs in the beautiful afternoon light.
Sept. 22 - Ulaanbaatar (1 nt, Shangri-la Hotel, 1B, 1D/farewell dinner). Fly back to the capital and visit a few more sites, like the Bogd Gegen Palace. After some free time we reunite for a performance featuring traditinal Mongolian dances and khoomi throat singers, followed by our farwell dinner.
Sept. 23 - Depart (1B ): This morning you will be transfered to the airport, depending on any extensions you may wish to add to this adventure.
Combine with our Uzbekistan hosted small group. Please inquire for more information.
Starting Ulaanbaatar, Ending in Ulaanbaatar:
- US$ 6,989
- Single supplement:US$ 1,835
Deposit: US$ 2,500 is due upon booking to secure your participation (we recommend you purchase trip cancellation/interruption insurance at this time).
Installment: US$ 2,600 due May 5, 2017
Final Payment: due July 6, 2017
Combine this trip with Heart of Central Asia and save a total of US$250 per person.
All quoted prices effective at time of publication (Sept. 8 '16). While not expected, itinerary and prices are subject to change.
Inclusions: complete pre-departure information and meeting held in Calgary, trip handbook and miniguide, regional flights within Mongolia; all accommodation on a twin-share basis; all meals as listed by B/breakfast, L/lunch, D/dinner; services of professional English-speaking Mongolian guide; all transfers and touring as listed, including any entrance fees or local transport fees that apply; escorted by Denell Falk with a minimum of 10 guests.
Exclusions: international return flights to & from Ulaanbaatar, all items of a personal nature including drinks/bar expenses, tips, souvenirs, laundry, internet charges, etc.; optional travel insurance; gratuities to local staff; any activities and excursions not specified; visas to enter Mongolia (Canadians are exempt); any increases due to circumstances beyond our control i.e. park fee increases, fuel surcharges, currency fluctuations.